Students receive weekly Science/STEM lessons loosely based upon the Primary Connections Curriculum. This is taught currently through our Specialist Science teacher on a Thursday.
Primary Connections: Linking science with literacy is an Australian Academy of Science flagship program. The units of work are inquiry based and are taught throughout a term. Over the course of a year, students have experiences in Biological Science, Chemical Science, Physical Science and Earth and Space.
Dedicated Indigenous Garden and Sculpture space is situated within our school grounds. This is such an exciting development for NDPS and has been many years in the making.
The purpose of DIGS is to celebrate, understand, respect, care for & build connection with the local culture and environment.
Our learnings have included:
- Ecological literacy: Interconnectedness of local plants, animals and humans.
- Cultural Literacy: Sharing of stories and wisdom about the local culture from Gunditjmara Elders, The Winda-Mara Rangers and local Gunditjmara Cultural Consultants.
- Creativity and artistic literacy: Problem solving, design & resilience skills to meet challenges and build a ‘You can do it’ attitude.
- Emotional Literacy: Building community by engaging with and learning from people and students from diverse cultures and experiences.
We have achieved:
1. The physical learning circle with stone paving
2. Fabrication and installation of the Fire- globe
3. Design and fabrication of a large basalt stone seat featuring designs of important local plants by Larissa Gardiner.
4. Seating carved by Brandon Kroon, featuring native animals of significance in our local landscape.
5. Corten steel windbreak panels featuring a story of Gunditjmara kinship with local plants and animals .
6. Design and installation of garden beds with local edible plants.